Saturday, May 15, 2010

i get hospitalized/painkillers


In the past few days, I've been talking with Lilly about how it would be nice to have some painkillers again, like when I was recovering from surgery last semester. I was describing to her how there is something kind of pleasant about the first 24 hours after an operation, the drug induced haze. Maybe I was thinking about painkillers because my sister broke her foot last week, and she probably got some. Also, a girl on the frisbee team, Mia, had her appendix out, and I know that for that you get get some good ones. I was walking to mod 95 with Jamie Blair to return a dish I used for baked ziti, and sure enough we saw Mia as she was about to leave. Jamie asked about her surgery, and I inquired as to whether or not she had my surgeon, Dr. Miller. Then I asked what she was planning on doing with her pills, and whether she still had them. They're still in my room, she said, I haven't been using them. I put forward the notion that if she wasn't going to use them, she might want to get rid of them somehow. She took this as me suggesting that she sell them – to which she objected. I suggested that selling them wasn't necessary, and that a donation – to me – would be perfectly acceptable. She seemed really uncomfortable, and Jamie remarked that she found the exchange to be one of the most awkward situations she'd ever witnessed.

On another note, I've been watching some good movies. I saw this Romanian film, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, about an older, alcoholic man with a serious medical problem who is turned away by hospital after hospital. Similarly, I saw a great Thai film by Apichatpong Weerasethakul called Symptoms and a Century, which takes place first in a rural Thai hospital and then a super modern hospital.

So somehow, when I flew over the handle bars riding my bike down South Street (my bike lock got caught in the front wheel) and broke my collar bone, it seemed like it was in the cards. Fortunately, a woman that turned out to be a doctor stopped and called an ambulance. I tried to be responsive with her, but I was in shock. I thought I made good small talk with the EMTs on the ride over, and I told them that they were very polite. In the ER, one of the nurses and I talked about movies (he was into Fassbinder, like me) and I told him about the films mentioned above. I also told him to watch the Werner Herzog Reads Where's Waldo video on youtube. The ER doctor was kind of cute, and I made small talk with her about I was very remorseful for not wearing a helmet and that my athletic career was over. She had to staple a cut on my head, and she showed me the staple gun. Cool, isn't it? She said. You doctors have lots of fun, I said. Ella came to pick me up and provided moral support. Then we got Lilly and when to the Route 9 dinner where I ordered eggs Benedict. I got a prescription for painkillers, and two does of morphine. Now I'm coming down on them, and I've got the itchies like mad.

1 comment:

  1. oh wow.

    i have to admit, though, this is funny when you think about it.

    anyways, i wish you the best. maybe i'll be visiting noho soon and seeing you. one can only hope.

    oh, also, that where's waldo video is pretty hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Followers