Sunday, October 3, 2010

Déjà Brew

I work at this place called Déjà Brew in southside Bethlehem. The sandwiches have names like “The Big Kahuna Burger” and “Royale with Cheese.” Everything there is really clever and makes me want quit. Today I found out that this guy with piercings and died black hair who works there comes in during my shift just to hang out – before I thought he came to help us out. A nice of a guy as he is, I find it difficult to imagine why he would want to be there if he's not getting paid. I read a lot of Hunger during my shift. I wrote down on the back of an order slip the following lines: “I was just on the point of crying with grief over still being alive.” I was just on the brink of crying imagining endless days of unemployment sprinkled with shifts at Déjà Brew, which ought to forget the faux indie bull shit and just call itself South Side Sandwich Shop. The highlight of my day was when I teased a pretty blond for getting a Reuben sandwich without sauerkraut. It's nice to know I can still be my charming old self.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers