Saturday, November 28, 2009

wired cafe

I was at Wired café today with my old high school pals and one of them, my friend Sam who goes to Bard, remarked that people in Bethlehem are starting to look and dress more like Bard students. Yeah, I said, they’re starting to look like Hampshire students, too.

And it’s true. When I go back home, I’m supposed to feel cooler than the other people I see, except maybe my friends. We go to schools like Bard and Hampshire. We’re articulate and clever, we talk about things like Klaus Kinski and our frustrations with irony, and we wear interesting-looking glasses. We have complexes.

But the locals are catching on, and quick. It wasn’t so long ago that I could walk in the street and get harassed by middle school-aged kids. But pretty soon in Bethlehem it’ll be just like up at school, and when I’m there I’ll be busy making sure I’m out post-cooling those upstarts, drinking their coffee at Wired. What is Bethlehem coming to?

1 comment:

  1. When I went home I went into a bar and saw all the people I hated in high school. They all looked and acted exactly the same. Although, some of them were fat now. It made me feel better about myself.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Followers