Tuesday, September 15, 2009

adventures at mt. holyoke college

I went to Mt. Holyoke college today, the distant land of my ex-girlfriend, for the first session of a class I’m going to take there. I came early to talk with my old elementary French professor, and I was there over the lunch hour so I ate at their campus center. I found myself in a contemplative mood, ruminating over the past. I was also reminded of how strange some Mt. Holyoke students are.

At one point, I returned from checking to see if my food was ready to find a girl I didn’t know sitting at my table. She hadn’t noticed my book bag under the chair, apparently. I didn’t really know what to do, so I just said that I had been there first, but that she could stay if she wanted. She left for some reason, but her stuff was still there, and I noticed that she had horse back riding gear—something which I regard with a great deal of suspicion. She didn’t return throughout the whole time I ate, and I wondered if maybe she found the situation too awkward to sit there with me, or something like that. Some MHC students are very awkward and socially sensitive. I was relieved; what the hell do I have to say anyway? Well, I sat there and ate; the only interruption was that another MHC student I know from Middlebury saw me and we said hello. Then I left and went to class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers