Friday, November 20, 2009

adventures at cooley dickenson hospital

I had surgery at cooley dick yesterday (turns out I had a second hernia to have repaired…). They were backed up, so I had to lie in bed for a good three hours before they got started. Despite the long wait, they still put the I.V. in first thing, and all that fluid was coming in the whole time, and I had to get up and pee constantly.

I tried to banter and make conversation with my surgeon Dr. Miller and the anesthesiologist. The latter told me about how he and my surgeon went biking in France together (this was why I couldn’t get in for the operation sooner…) when I told him that I was a French major. I asked Dr. Miller if he was ready. ‘We’ll see,’ he said. One of the nurses asked if I had taken off my underwear. ‘Why would you have him do that?’ Dr. Miller asked. I appreciated his sense of humor. In the operating room, once I was on the various drugs, they started talking about some show one of them watched on discovery channel the other day.

I woke up in a haze, still in the operating room. It seemed to me like they were still talking about the show on the discovery channel. I tried to make conversation again. Then I realized they were in the middle of cutting into me. That was weird. Eventually, I realized that they weren’t paying attention to me. Well, I guess that was for the best, I wouldn’t have wanted them to make a mistake.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a second...you woke up in the middle of surgery?? You seem to be much less terrified about it than i would be...

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Followers