Tuesday, November 17, 2009

thanksgiving dinner at hampshire

Well, I finally saw Antichrist last night at the Pleasant Street Theater in Northampton. It was well shot. The way the forest is filmed, it seemed like it could swallow the characters up. I appreciated that, but I didn’t like how charged with meaning the film was. One can only take so much meaning before it gets to be too much. I guess it was shocking at moments, but I wasn’t especially moved to think about the thematic significance of the torture…my mind started to drift to more practical questions, like what the trial would be like if Willem Dafoe were charged with murdering his wife. Hopefully that will be in part 2.

Today Dave, Paolo, and I went to the Thanksgiving dinner at the dining hall. All those people milling about getting their food and talking, the harsh lighting, familiar faces that I don’t want to see…it provokes a mild disgust.

As we were eating, all of the sudden a wad of squash appeared in my cup of orange juice, and than on the sleeve of my sweater. I turned around, and a group of first-years were about to start a food fight at the table next to us. Dave and I, without any hesitation, stood up and reamed them out. That put an end to it. We felt good about ourselves. I rarely yell at people. It’s nice.

1 comment:

  1. That food fight is an interesting scenario. I've always wanted to have a food fight in saga. In fact, I'm surprised I never saw a real food fight while I was there. But, at the same time, I also think I would be really annoyed if first years were throwing squash at me. Either way, I do know I would love to yell at first years so I'm jealous you got to do that.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Followers