Thursday, January 22, 2009

first night out, etc.

Well, I deleted my last entry, because apparently I’m somehow connected to that girl and her blog, although I can’t figure out how. I also don’t know how I’m connected to the person who made some disparaging comments about the post. My initial reaction was that I didn’t want to cause a stir, but in retrospect, I think I should have just left it up there. In fact, it is gratifying that people I don’t even know are reading my blog. I still feel the same about travel blogs, but whatever.

The other day I went out with some of the other kids from the program for the first time. First we went to a bar in the 11th called The Motel that was playing good music but, we decided, was too crowded. The next bar wasn’t as good but we found a table that had a good view of a small dance floor. There were a few people dancing but they gradually left until it was just one guy. We concluded that he looked like a gamer, but with slightly better style. He was really enthusiastic. I thought it was amusing that categories like “gamer” transcend nationality.

We went back to The Motel after a while. The crowd there seemed trendy and vaguely aloof, except a group of guys near the door dancing in a circle. Every time I walked through them to get a drink, they hugged me or shook my hand and yelled “bonne année!” I was reminded of what it is like to go to a frisbee party at Hampshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers