Tuesday, January 6, 2009

ruptures

Lately I’ve been thinking about break-ups, because three different couples I know have had ruptures (I like this term, it’s what the French say) in the past week or so. But not me! I’m unattached. On New Year’s Eve, I spent part of the night with Ben, composing an e-mail to one of these people. We made the subject line, “Happy New Year—Existence is Ephemeral.” My writing gets a little more colorful after a good binge. We ended the e-mail this way: “The cold hard naked steel bat of the reality of romance sometimes slugs you in the back of the head when you least expect it, but you’ve got to take that bat and use it! You gotta whack that upstart pitcher in the head, give ‘em a good one in the kisser, and make ‘em piss blood!” I’m not really sure if that gets at anything important.

4 comments:

  1. "ruptures" makes me think of spleens. it's interesting, though. i also want to say i think of pimples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My appendix ruptured when I was in the eight grade. It was kind of an intense experience, though not exactly analogous to a break up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my bowels rupture with delight every time i hit the can

    ReplyDelete
  4. for some people, i bet leaving a good one in the can is not unlike breaking up, though i don't think that is the case with the break-ups i'm referring to

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Followers