Monday, March 2, 2009

athletics

My last evening in Edinburgh I went out with Dave and Christoph to a pub that had some live music. That area of the bar was too crowded, though, so I didn’t hear much of it. Instead, we sat in the back. When I came back with my second beer, there was a group of people standing around this trivia game. The three of us watched attentively. The guy who was playing was doing pretty well. At one point, the question was something like, “Norway is known for what sport: A) Cricket B) Football C) Athletics.”

When Dave and I saw the option, ‘Athletics,’ we lost it. The guy took our laughing as a sign that we knew ‘Athletics’ was the answer, so he selected that one, but it was wrong. To us, it made perfect sense that ‘athletics’ was wrong.

Of course, now I know that ‘athletics’ refers to track & field. But at the time, I think I laughed the hardest I’d laughed all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers