Monday, February 9, 2009

french hipsters?

On Saturday night, I boozed with Jared at his place and met Jackie and two of her friends at The Motel, the bar from a few weeks ago. Daniel later joined us. If this bar were in the US, it would undoubtedly be a hipster bar, based on the music, the crowd there, etc. But in France, there really isn’t such a thing as a hipster. The style exists, but that’s it. In general, I find, style is less symbolic here. Anyway, I got a few compliments on my glasses, and that was flattering. Jared and I struck up a conversation with a guy outside smoking a cigarette who had the quintessential hipster look down. Jared complimented him on his outfit and told him that he wanted to meet French girl. I asked him if the hipster look worked for French girls, and he said he didn’t know because his girlfriend is American. I thought that was funny. He was a good guy.

Well anyway, other stuff happened that night but I don’t feel like writing about it.

The weekend ended pleasantly. Jared, Daniel and I went to dinner at Christine’s place. They did a really good job with it. I was feeling reserved, however, so I feel that I may have inadvertently made it seem like I was dissatisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers