Sunday, February 1, 2009

masculinity?

I have not been feeling especially aloof or gloomy, although I’m getting sick. On Thursday night, I met Jared for drinks at the Jesus bar. I enjoy being in that place. After that I had dinner at Jared’s, and after that we met up with Jackie, Dave’s quasi-ex-girlfriend, and her friend Amanda from NYU. We searched around a little while in the 6th by the Odéon and settled on this place, I forget the name. I have sort of a strange relationship with Jackie; I think a bro always has a strange relationship (if there is one at all) with his bro’s girlfriend/ex-girlfriend, especially if she’s a quasi-ex-girlfriend. Nonetheless, I consider Jackie a friend. Amanda was fun, too. I appreciate the both of them, because, among other things, they like to drink hard, harder than me, and I always enjoy it when someone encourages hard drinking, just for the sake of hard drinking.

Well anyway, I think they got some free drinks for themselves, because they’re cute Americans or whatever. They even got Jared and me a free shot. At the time, I thought nothing of this, but a few days later I realized that, in theory, girls who are with guys aren’t supposed to get free drinks at bars. I wonder if this has something to do with our masculinity—were we just a completely non-threatening presence? If I were really a bro, I might be offended by this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers