Wednesday, April 22, 2009

going to the movies

“I don’t like the film, I don’t like the film, play it all back, play it all back”—Gary Numan

Last night I saw Robert Aldrich’s classic noir Kiss Me Deadly. It was showing in some random theater in the 10e that smelled like a hardware store and generally wasn’t very cosmetically appealing. Also, the sound frequently made that buzzing noise that one hears when a cell phone receiving or making a call is placed near a stereo. The guy in the projection room was probably using his phone. The same guy was working the booth; he seemed out of sorts when we bought our tickets, in an endearing sort of way. At any rate, all of this was fitting, considering the sleazy quality of Aldrich’s film. The day before I saw In the Electric Mist with Tommy Lee Jones, a neo-noir that should be released in the states pretty soon. It was just I needed; a bad-ass, hard-boiled cop beating up motherfuckers and bending the law. Today I’m seeing Hirokazu Koreeda’s new movie Still Walking. It’s been a good week for the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers