Friday, April 24, 2009

still walking

“I’d love to be like me if I can feel like you.”—Gary Numan

Kore-Eda’s Still Walking was excellent. It really hit me where it counts. It’s the kind of movie that almost moves me to tears, not because it’s especially sad, but because it just gets to me. I have a real soft spot for meditative, slow paced cinema, preferably with little dialogue. If anyone cares, and they’re interested in the kind of aesthetic I’m talking about, they ought to see Maborosi by Kore-Eda.

I’m in Nice right now. I find the landscape very agreeable. It makes me wish that I knew how to make money, so I could afford to do shit like this all the time, and not incur lots of debt. Paris does that to me too. Whatever Hampshire has done for me, it hasn’t given me a sense of confidence about making money. Maybe I should’ve gone to Penn State and studied economics. Instead I went to a small liberal arts colleges so I could pursue my unique interests and deconstruct things like Chris Marker films and Seinfeld.

2 comments:

  1. hahahahaha "Maybe I should’ve gone to Penn State and studied economics." then you could spend all of your time with me! hope you're doing well dan, and i look forward to seeing you sometime this summer!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Followers