Tuesday, December 16, 2008

In western Pennsylvania, there is a state college called the University of California-Pennsylvania. I’ve never been there. Last night in my dream I visited Steven Sanobrio there. I went to high school with Steven. Once we sold newspaper subscriptions together in the projects. I don’t know if he actually went to college. He showed us around. It was dark outside. It reminded me of Hartford. He said that sometimes there were thefts. He expressed concern about his future, he wasn’t sure if he was preparing himself for it well enough at college. I felt bad for him.

The day was slow. I wrote about Douglas Sirk and thought about how academics feel pointless. Dave and I put on a Jim O’Rourke record and Ben made noises to express his distaste. Paolo made a grilled cheese and I told everyone in the room that I’d sworn off these sandwiches.

I went to the Haymarket at about four with Dave to do work. There are a lot of mirrors there. They encourage my vanity. I wrote about Amélie Nothomb, a Belgian author, and noticed a girl with dark hair and pink leggings walk up and down the stairs. Her outfit was a little garish, but tasteful.

At the mod I was walking downstairs and Dave was complaining about a facebook photo of someone smoking a bowl. He remarked, “That would be like us posting a picture of Ezra sucking a dick.” I found that amusing. Later, Ben found a dead, dried up mouse in a vase. I reminded him to wash his hands after having touched it.

I wasn’t very thoughtful today. Things are wrapping up and my mind isn’t attached to anything anymore.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late in the afternoon of a chilly day in December, two gentlemen were sitting alone over their wine, in a well-furnished dining parlor, in the town of A---, in Massachusetts. There were no servants present, and the gentlemen, with chairs closely approaching, seemed to be discussing some subject with great earnestness.

    For convenience' sake, we have said, hitherto, two gentlemen[italics]. One of the parties, however, when critically examined, did not seem, strictly speaking, to come under the species. He was a short thick man, with coarse commonplace features, and that swaggering air of pretension which marks a low man who is trying to elbow his way upward in the world. He was much overdressed, in a gaudy vest of many colors, a blue neckerchief, bedropped gayly with yellow spots, and arranged with a flaunting tie, quite in keeping with the general air of the man. His hands, large and coarse, were plentifully bedecked with rings; and he wore a heavy gold watch-chain, with a bundle of seals of portentous size, and a great variety of colors, attached to it,--which, in the ardor of conversation, he was in the habit of flourishing and jingling with evident satisfaction. His conversation was in free and easy defiance of Murray's Grammar, and was garnished at convenient intervals with various profane expressions, which not even the desire to be graphic in our account shall induce us to transcribe.

    His name was D-- H----, and he didn't feel very thoughtful that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. may i interject here----being present at the scene, I can surely say you did not 'remind me to wash my hands after having touched it'--you said something to the effect of, "wash your goddamn hands, dirtball'----------as a member of your narrations, i demand the truth! truth! truth1

    Dan H
    DECEMBER 15, 2008 1:59 AM:
    'My blog is about truth. This is fantasy.'

    truth! truth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're just being oversensitive. Did you ever wash your hands?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i did wash my goddamn hands, and i used the most abrasive dish detergent to do it. the truth is not sensitive, it's cold and hard and truth! truth! truth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, I didn't want to encourage bad hand washing habits: dish soap will only dry them out.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Followers